
NEED TO KNOW
A violin worth over $200,000 was stolen from the Marquess Tavern in North London, England, on Feb. 18, 2025
Ahmed Sami Madour has since been charged with two counts of theft, and he pleaded not guilty during a recent appearance in court
The Lorenzo Carcassi violin was made in Florence, Italy, in 1740
A man has been charged with the theft of a 286-year-old violin that was stolen from a bar.
Violinist David Lopez Ibanez was dining with a friend at the Marquess Tavern in North London on Feb. 18, 2025, when the instrument, worth over $200,000, went missing, The Standard and The Independent reported, citing the Metropolitan Police.
Ibanez had been loaned the violin — which was made in Florence, Italy, in 1740 — to perform with London's Philharmonia Orchestra.
"I put it right next to me," he told the BBC. "You get taught from a very early age to take such good care of it. Nothing prepares you for having it snatched away."
Almost a year later, Ahmed Sami Madour was charged with two counts of theft, the Metropolitan Police confirmed to PEOPLE.
Credit: youtube
Madour, 46, recently appeared at Snaresbrook Crown Court, where his trial was set for May 10, 2027, authorities said.
The man has also been accused of stealing a guitar worth over $5,000 in East London on the same day as the alleged violin theft, according to The Standard and The Independent.
Never miss a story — sign up for PEOPLE's free daily newsletter to stay up-to-date on the best of what PEOPLE has to offer, from celebrity news to compelling human interest stories.
Madour entered not guilty pleas for both counts, and he was released on unconditional bail, per court records obtained by The Standard.
"He was taken into police custody and later released on bail pending further inquiries," Scotland Yard told the newspaper of Madour.
"The victim, who is a member of London's Philharmonia Orchestra, has told us the piece is worth more than £150,000 [about $201,550] and was made in Florence in 1740," Police Constable Michael Collins said at the time of the violin's alleged theft.
He added, "It is incredibly precious, and for the victim, it's priceless."
Read the original article on People
LATEST POSTS
- 1
The Secret Destinations Amex Says Will Be More Popular Than Bali by 2026 - 2
Over 250,000 cases of shredded cheese recalled over possible metal fragments - 3
How one man's concern saved his brothers from heart disease - 4
UAE-backed Yemeni Southern Transitional Council denies disbandment rumors - 5
Don't plan to cook on Thanksgiving? Here are the restaurants and fast food places that are scheduled to be open
Unwinding the Starting points of America: An Excursion Through History
Jubilant FoodWorks to scrap Dunkin’ franchise arrangement in India
All the ways Marjorie Taylor Greene has shifted her approach lately — and why Trump is 'surprised at her'
Illumina unveils dataset to speed up AI-powered drug discovery
One third of Spanish pork export certificates blocked since swine fever outbreak, minister says
Exploring Asia’s Realm of Flying Snakes
US healthcare spending soars to over $5 trillion in 2024
Want to be better about saving money in 2026? Try these money-saving tips for having a ‘low-buy’ January and beyond
South Carolina measles outbreak grows by nearly 100, spreads to North Carolina and Ohio












